Youth Performance Troupe
For students ages 9 and up
The Youth Performance Troupe program at Esh Circus Arts is designed to help dedicated young circus students develop their technical, choreographic, and performance skills in a supportive environment!
- Provide a structured training program for youth circus students who possess a desire to perform
- Help students develop strength, flexibility, technical mastery, collaborative skills, and artistry in a supportive community
- Provide a depth of experience in each student's focus discipline to cultivate techincal skills and foster creativity
- Provide a breadth of experience across multiple circus disciplines to create well-rounded circus artists
- Fall: September 5th - November 20th
- Winter: November 28th - March 5th
(No classes Dec. 19 - Jan. 1; No classes Feb. 20-26)
- Spring: March 6th - May 28th
(No classes Apr. 17-23)
- Final Show: TBD (Tentatively, weekend of May 19th or May 26th)
- Youth Performance Troupe meets Mon and Thurs afternoons from 3:45 - 5:30pm.
The Fall semester focuses on building a strong foundation in technique and artistry across a range of circus disciplines, and in developing each student’s skills in their focus discipline.
The combined Winter/Spring semesters focus on building individual and ensemble skills and creating individual and ensemble acts for the final show.
Program participants should be excited to focus on good technique and training in a variety of circus arts, and are expected to participate safely and responsibly in all program activities. Participants are expected to commit to regular attendance and consistent training, and to work collaboratively with coaches and fellow students to build solo and ensemble acts.
As with all youth programs at Esh, the Youth Performance Troupe is non-competitive, and aims to help each participant explore their own potential in circus arts.
Admission to the program is via an in-person interview and video audition submission (details below). Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an interview or with questions about the program.
Students may film at Esh during open studio hours on Mon. 11am-1:30pm, and Sun. 1:30pm - 4:15pm. To arrange filming outside those hours, please contact Johnny directly.
- Introduce yourself! Tell us what you enjoy about circus and why you want to join the Youth Performance Troupe. (Max. 1 minute)
- Show us your basics! Give us a demonstration of your basic training level, for example:
- Hold a plank for 10 seconds
- Show us your splits (left, right, and center) and backbend/bridge
- Handstand against the wall
- Mount and dismount a static trapeze safely without help
- Climb an aerial fabric, put on a foot lock without help
- Show us some basic tumbling skills such as forward rolls and cartwheels (form does not have to be perfect)
- Show us your skills! About two minutes of your video should show your skills in your primary discipline and any other circus arts you practice. This is your time to shine!
- Videos should be no more than 4 minutes in total length.
- Fall video audition: July 25th
- Winter/Spring video audition: October 24th
- Please submit your video links to email@example.com.
Students may enroll for the full year, for the Fall semester only, or for the combined Winter/Spring semesters.
- Fall Semester: $675 ($225 / month)
- $1450 ($225 / month)Winter/Spring
Price includes $100 show fee
- Tuition is billed monthly, two weeks prior to start of each month.
- Program Directors - Johnny Blazes and Ellen Waylonis
- Program Administrator - Johnny Blazes
- Lead Coach - T Lawrence-Simon
- Program Coaches - Tim Ellis, Alexis Hedrick